So conference play ended last week and the NCAA tournament has started.
The All Conference teams have been announced along with Freshman of the Year accolades. Three out of the four selections we made received high recognition!
- Pac-10 Freshman of the Year
- Pac-10 Second Team All Conference
- * National Rookie of the season
- * National Rookie 1st Team
Okugo started every game in a defensive midfield position for the Bruins, recording two assists and helping lead the Bruins to the conference title.
- Big East Rookie of the Year!
- Big East Second Team all Conference!
- *National Rookie 1st Team!
The forward is second on the team in scoring with 17 points on three goals and 11 assists. His assist total is first in the league in both overall games and also in league play with eight helpers. The freshman earned BIG EAST Rookie of the Week honors for three straight weeks (Oct. 12, Oct. 19 & Oct. 26) and posted five multiple-point games.
- Big West Third Team all Conference
- *National Rookie 2nd Team
Prieto has started in 17 of the 21 matches he has played in this season. He has three goals and an assist for the Big West tournament champions.
Congratulations boys! It’s not easy jumping into a ranked division I college team and establishing yourself as a fundamental chess piece, let alone receiving conference and national recognition!
A Little Context
- 5 freshman received an All Big West selection (none made the 1st team).
- Only 2 freshman received an All Pac-10 selection (none made the 1st team).
- With the exception of Alvarez, no freshman was selected for All Big East honors!
- Obviously national recognition is even more exclusive.
Hey U-20 national team coach! You paying attention? We know Okugo has been a solid fixture with the youth national teams and will certainly be in the next U-20 World Cup, but I’m sure you don’t know Alvarez and Prieto.
Okugo (intelligent defensive mid)
Prieto (creative offensive mid, he’s a lefty by the way)
Alvarez (true quality striker or creative midfielder)
High Soccer IQs here who talk their asses off on the field!
*National honors chosen by TopDrawerSoccer.
Leave a Reply